Login/Register  |  Community  |  Help  
Home > All Categories > Community  
  Search Forum  
+  My Community
|-+  Category Specific Discussion
| |-+  Home & Garden (Moderator: mod_tangerine)
| | |-+  Christmas Lights!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Christmas Lights!  (Read 4159 times)
BusyQueen
Super blujay Member status!

☊♪♫blujay rocks, You rule!☊♪♫

Re: Christmas Lights!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »

Few people celebrate Christmas with as much vim and merriment as the Danes. After all, Greenland is part of Denmark and, consequently, home to Julemanden, or the "Yule Man". Venerable Christmas traditions in Denmark pass from one generation to the next and, indeed, make Copenhagen a superlative destination for the season.

"Magnificent, incomparably magnificent" were the words the famous storyteller Hans Christian Andersen used to describe Christmas in Copenhagen. Every December, the city comes alive with millions of lights blinking all over town, a massive Christmas tree in front of mayor's house and the biggest Christmas market in Scandinavia.

In terms of holiday shopping in Copenhagen, it's impossible to ignore the longest pedestrian retail street in Europe. Strøget is a magnificent car-free zone that contains the most upmarket shops in Denmark. From the Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Factory to Illums Bolighus, the eminent pulse point of the city is the top destination for wow-factor Christmas presents and stocking-stuffers.

Another splendid location in Copenhagen during the holiday season is City Hall Square, on the west end of Strøget. The perpetual congregation spot is the heart of the city and rightfully so, gets a Christmas makeover every December.

If the cold weather has not worn you down, head to the Frilandsmuseet (Open Air Museum) north of Copenhagen. A veritable time-warp, the museum resuscitates 200 years of Christmas traditions. As always, gløgg and apple dumplings are on the menu.

BusyQueen

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

So you are thinking of visiting southern Italy in December, but you're not sure what to see and what to do. Don't despair; there are lots and lots of special events that simply aren't available in the good old summertime. Here are a few of them. We start our virtual tour in Campania, go to the Mezzogiorno, swing down into Sicily and then head back up to Sardinia. Get rolling; December is almost upon us.

yourbounty

My Best in Internet & Home Catalog Shopping

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »

Smiley  I LOVE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!  I used to work overnights and
driving to work in the winter was so blah.  Hated that part.
But come Christmas time it was great.  It just gave you a great  warm  feeling. 
"It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness."
 In my case I just do both.  Grin  Bernie

BusyQueen

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »

Saturday morning Feb 19, 2011 "Winds Topple National Christmas Tree"

The Colorado blue spruce was planted in 1978 near the Washington Monument which is lit by the president every year. By the afternoon, the 42-foot tree was ground into mulch.

Yeah,  Bernie the lights sure are beautiful.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: