Login/Register  |  Community  |  Help  
Home > All Categories > Community  
  Search Forum  
+  My Community
|-+  Category Specific Discussion
| |-+  Home & Garden (Moderator: mod_tangerine)
| | |-+  Homemade Brush/Weed Killer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Homemade Brush/Weed Killer  (Read 2013 times)
BusyQueen
Super blujay Member status!

☊♪♫blujay rocks, You rule!☊♪♫

Homemade Brush/Weed Killer
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »

Vinegar Solution
A simple homemade vinegar solution works effectively to kill brush, weeds, and poison ivy. Pour one-half gallon of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle, and spray the vinegar all over the brush, especially targeting the roots of the brush. This solution can be used on gardens and other parts of the lawn, as the vinegar will not prevent vegetation from growing. This is not a permanent fix, so the solution will need to be reapplied as brush grows back. Repeat this process once a day for an entire week, and the brush will die off on its own.

Vinegar and Salt
A solution of vinegar and salt works effectively for brush and weeds along driveways, roads, and sidewalks. This solution should not be used in gardens or where you plan to grow grass, as heavy amounts of salt in the soil will prevent vegetation from growing for several years. In a spray bottle, mix a solution of one gallon apple cider vinegar, and two cups of table salt. Spray this mixture over the brush every day for one week, spraying as close to the roots as possible. The brush will quickly die off, and the salt will prevent brush from growing back in the future.

Vinegar and Dish Detergent
A combination of vinegar and dish detergent works to kill tall, leafy brush. The vinegar kills the brush, while the dish detergent works as an adhesive, making the solution stick to the leaves of the brush, which kills the brush more quickly. In a spray bottle, mix two cups of apple cider vinegar and four tablespoons of liquid dish detergent (any brand will do). Spray the brush, working from the tips down to the roots, and making sure to saturate the entire area. Repeat once daily for a full week, and the brush will quickly die off.

Try full strenght lemon juice!

creeksidebooks

Creekside Brady

Re: Homemade Brush/Weed Killer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »

Great suggestions, Busy!  Will this work for stinging nettles?  I have been digging them up (ouch), but invariably miss bits that pop up the following year.

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves" --Anna Quindlen
http://creeksidebooks.blujay.com
BusyQueen

☊♪♫blujay rocks, You rule!☊♪♫

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »

Hey creeksidebooks   Wink

Roundup works and Vinegar, you need to spray the bottom of the plant so it can get into the root system, best to spray them when they are young.
You could make some wine, and forget about them, lol   Cool  Each plant can produce over 20,000 seeds no wonder there are so many!

creeksidebooks

Creekside Brady

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »

I will try the vinegar.  Thanks, Busy!

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves" --Anna Quindlen
http://creeksidebooks.blujay.com
SECONDCHANCEGIFTS

the world needs more nurses

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »

thanks for all the tips !!!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: